Dates has many health benefits like it helps in weight loss, diarrhea, Iron-deficiency anemia to name a few. It is high in dietary fiber, Potassium, vitamin B6, Magnesium, etc.
In India, it is very common to use dates during winter. While growing up we use to eat dates with clarified butter (ghee) and till today I love them. We use dates not only in desert but also to make chutney. It is easier to avoid direct sugar if we use dates instead. Dates are so easily available during anytime of the year and it is inexpensive.
About this recipe, you need few ingredients to make this delicious and healthy fudge/burfi. I am using dry dates. I have been making this burfi for many years. It is so easy to make and it tastes amazing! It is also perfect for anyone who wants to avoid sugar. I have also added lots of different nuts to make it protein rich. I prepare this mostly during winter. I also prepare it during festival season to pack as a gift.
This recipe makes about 25-30 pieces depending on the size of each piece.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10-12 minutes
1 kg. dates
1/2 cup each of almond, walnut and cashew
1 cup dry coconut powder
1 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
1. Remove seeds from dates and chop in small pieces.
2. Roast almond, walnut and cashew separately until golden in colour. When cool down, chop in small pieces.
3. Roast coconut in a dry pan on a low heat stirring continuous. When it start to change the colour, turn off the heat and move the pan away from the heat.
4. Grease a square or round pan with ghee or line with parchment pepper and then grease with ghee or butter on top.
5. In a big wide bottom pan, add 1 tbsp of ghee and let it heat. When ghee is slightly hot, add chopped dates. You can avoid ghee if you are on vegan diet, just add dates in dry pan. Cook on low heat and stir continuous as dates can burn easily. Cook until dates become mussy about 6-7 minutes. Then add all the chopped nuts and roasted coconut powder. Mix everything well together. Remove the pan away from the heat. Burfi mixture is now ready.
6. Transfer this warm dates mixture in greased pan. Spread slight ghee on flat bottom bowl or spatula. Spread dates mixture using bowl or spatula to a thick layer. Let the mixture cool down a bit before making square pieces. Instead you can make golf ball size ladoo and roll in coconut powder.
7. Dates nuts fudge are now ready. You can keep these in cool dry place for at least 2 weeks. You can avoid any nuts if someone in your family is allergic. You can add more nuts if you are like me nuts for nuts 😉 ;). It can be made vegan by not adding ghee, it will still taste the best!
Pack in nice gift box for Diwali gift. It is also easy to pack in kids tiffin. You can also serve this with breakfast as it is high energy nutritive squares are good any time of the day. Give it a try!
Share it with family and friends and spread the love!
Please do leave a comment or let me know if you have any questions regarding this dish. .
Thank you for visiting my blog. Until next time!
Check out my Facebook page and like the page to receive the latest recipes in your news feed! https://www.facebook.com/bhavnasfoodjourney
You can also follow me on Twitter @BhavnasFoodJrny and pin on Pinterest Bhavna’s Food Journey.