I am making green (hariyali) pilaf (pulao) using spinach. It has many different flavour of spices. I am using basmati rice which gives justice to this perfect green rice. As I always mentioned in past posts, I love preserving natural colour in my food so this pulao is green using colour from spinach. Spinach is high in iron, protein, fiber and low in fat and cholesterol.
When you are buying basmati rice, always buy old rice, in this case “old is gold“. Older the rice, it will cook to long grain like broken noodles. I keep few begs of basmati rice in my pantry, so I never have to use the one I buy immediately. I am also posting on how to cook perfect rice for pulao or biryani.
My family loves anything made from rice from appetizer to sweet. I prepare the dishes like rice dumpling,biryani, fried rice, dosa, dhoka, chakri and rice pudding to name a few using rice as a main ingredient.
About this dish, I bought big bunch of spinach and decided to make this green pulao or hariyali pulao. I added few spices to prepare this aromatic rice dish. This dish serves 3 people.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
2 cup basmati rice
3 cups water
2-3 cardamom pod
1 bunch of spinach leaves
1/2″ piece of ginger
2 green chilli
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup fresh/frozen green peas
1/2 red/orange bell pepper
1 cup green/french beans chopped
2 tbsp ghee/clarified butter or oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
2-3 bay leaves
Salt to taste
Ginger thinly sliced
Fresh coriander chopped
1. To cook perfect rice, wash rice thoroughly 2-3 times. In a heavy bottom pot, add rice and 3 cups water. Always remember the ratio of 1 rice to 1 1/2 cup water. If rice is old then it can take some more water but new rice needs less water. Also add cardamom pods in rice and water. Break cardamom pod before adding to water. Cook on high until water starts to boil, then lower the heat and cover the pan with lid. Cook on low until water evaporates and rice are al-dente about 5-6 minutes. When ready, turn off the heat and move pot away from the heat. Fluff the rice with fork and leave it open for 15-20 minutes to cool.
2. To make spinach puree, in a pan boil water. Add cleaned spinach leaves in the hot water and let it cook for 1-2 minute. Remove spinach from hot water and immediately soak in cold water. In few minutes, squeeze out all the water from spinach. In a blender add blanched spinach, ginger, green chilies, lemon juice and grind to a smooth paste. Add slight water if you need.
3. Chop bell pepper and green/french beans in small pieces.
4. When ready to cook pulao, heat 2 tbsp ghee or oil in a wide bottom pan. Add 1 tsp cumin seeds and bay leaves. When cumin seeds start to change the colour, add chopped beans, pepper, green peas and salt. Tip: to refrain beans from changing colour, add pinch of sugar immediately. Cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat if using frozen, more if you are using fresh vegetables. When beans and pepper still has slight crunch (remove few pieces for garnish), add rice and slowly mix well. Now lower the heat and add spinach puree in rice and taste for salt. Mix everything well and cover with lid and cook on low for 1-2 minutes. Turn off the heat and move pot away from heat. Rice is now ready.
5. Garnish pulao with cooked bean and peas, thinly sliced ginger and chopped coriander. Serve this vibrant green pulao with raita or kadhi.
Flavour of ghee and spices makes this recipe, a must try! You won’t have to feel guilty eating rice because this pulao is high in iron. Serve in your next party or take it for potluck. I am sure everyone will enjoy it!!
Also let me know if you have any questions regarding the dish.
Thank you for visiting my blog. Until next time!
Check out my Facebook page and like the page to receive the latest recipes in your news feed!