How about making chili appe from leftover appe?
You may have seen my recipe for chili idli which I prepared using leftover idli. So this time I decided to use leftover mixed bean appe. I also happened to have some leftover ragi idli I prepared couple days earlier. My husband and I both love Hakka style Chinese food so what a better way to use leftover and prepare something we both enjoy. This is an absolutely drool worthy recipe. It is gluten free, vegan and not fried. This one pot meal can be prepared in less than 30 minutes. You can use any kind of appe, but the one I prepared using mixed dal were soft so they tasted really good. You can use only appe or idli whatever you have at home. If you are only using appe, use around 12-15 appes.
This recipe serves 2 people.
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
7-8 appe vada (cut in half)
4-5 leftover idli cut in triangles (1:4)
1 onion sliced lengthwise
1 bell pepper (red) cut lengthwise
Small pinch of ginger cut in thin strips
2-3 garlic cloves cut in thin strips
1 hot red chili or green chili (optional)
Oil for cooking
2 tbsp corn starch
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tsp sriracha sauce or chili sauce
1/4 tsp black pepper powder
Salt to taste (soy sauce is salty too)
1 cup water
1. Heat non-stick pan with 2-3 tbsp oil. Sauté appe vada until crispy. If you are using idli then sauté idli too until brown from all sides. You can deep fry vada/idli if you like more crunchy. Keep on side.
2. Mix all the sauce ingredients with 1 cup water.
3. Heat a big pan with 1½ tbsp oil. Add onion and pepper. Sauté on medium to high on 2-3 minutes.
4. Then add chopped red chili, ginger and garlic. Cook stirring continuous for another 1-2 minutes.
5. Then add sauce and mix well. Cook on medium heat for about 1 minutes or until sauce is thick. If sauce is too thick then add little water.
6. Add appe and idli (if you have it). Mix everything so appe and idli are coated with sauce from all sides.
7. Serve immediately as this taste the best when serve hot.
This chili appe was super duper delicious! I am already dreaming of eating this again. You can adjust the heat as per your taste. You can add mushroom, spring onion if you have. Hope you will try this recipe!
Also let me know if you have any questions regarding the dish.
Thank you for visiting my website. Until next time!
You can follow me on social media using any of the link below.
Facebook Bhavna’s Food Journey
YouTube Bhavna’s Food Journey