Please see the video till end and don’t forget to click on subscribe button!!
I have posted many premix recipes on my website. It helps me during my busy schedule. It stays good for few months.
This premix is make ahead breakfast mix which helps in making upma much easier when you need it. You can keep this fridge for few months. You can give it to your children when they move away from home or carry while you are travelling. It takes less than 5 minute to prepare upma using this premix. For vegan version, you can add lemon juice or tiny pinch of citric acid instead of yogurt. If you like, you can add nuts like peanuts, cashew to this mix.
My family loves this premix especially my son, daughter in law and my husband. When my husband feels hungry and I am too busy working, he prepares this himself. He know the ratio 1:3 so one portion of upma premix to 3 portion of water. You can then choose to add yogurt or squeeze the lemon at the end.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10-12 minutes
3 cup sooji/rava (semolina)
2 tbsp urad dal
1 tbsp rai (mustard seeds)
1 tbsp jeera (cumin seeds)
Pinch of hing (asafoetida)
15-20 dry curry leaves
5-6 dry red chili
2 tbsp oil
1. Heat a big pan.
2. Add oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, curry leaves and dry chilies and asafoetida
3. Then add semolina.
4. Roast on medium heat stirring continuously
5. Roast until slightly brown and aromatic (7-8 minutes)
6. Turn off the heat and let it cool completely
7. Store in a glass jar in fridge for few month.
How to prepare upma?
You will needs…
½ cup upma mix
1½ cup water
Salt to taste
1 tbsp sour yogurt or ½ tsp lemon juice
Fresh cilantro (coriander) for garnishing
1. In a pan, heat water and add salt
2. When water starts boiling, add upma mix and yogurt.
3. Stir immediately and break lumps.
4. Continue cooking until semolina (rava) absorbs all the water.
5. Turn off the heat and garnish with chopped cilantro (coriander.
6. Serve with hot cup of masala chai.
Hope you will find this premix useful. Also let me know if you have any questions regarding the dish.
Thank you for visiting my website. Until next time!
You can follow me on social media using any of the link below.
Facebook Bhavna’s Food Journey
YouTube Bhavna’s Food Journey