Few months back I posted the recipe for a vegetarian burger, I keep that in my freezer all the time. It is very easy to cook. This time I decided to cook burger using black beans aka turtle beans, kidney beans and 3 different types of mushrooms. It was simply delicious 😛 😛
Black beans are great source of dietary fibre, protein, iron, magnesium,etc. It is widely used in Latin American cuisine. I am using mushrooms, which are low in calories, fat-free, cholesterol-free, gluten-free, and very low in sodium, yet they provide important nutrients, including selenium, potassium (8%), riboflavin, niacin, vitamin D and more. (source: Google)
Whenever I decide to make burger, I always make more than we need for our meal, this way I can freeze some to pack for lunch in future. They freeze really well and since it is home-made, you know what your family eating rather than buying ready-made. My family is vegetarian so I always look for ideas to cook something they all enjoy.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
2 cups dry black/turtle beans soaked and cooked
1/2 cup dry red kidney beans soaked and cooked
6-7 brown mushrooms chopped
6-7 white mushrooms chopped
2 portabella mushrooms chopped
1 onion chopped
1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
2 garlic cloves grated
1 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp cumin powder
Salt to taste
Oil for cooking
Hot sauce (optional)
1. Soak dry black turtle beans and red kidney beans for 6-7 hours in water until double in size. Then cook it until it is soft or pressure cook until 4 whistles. You can also use canned beans. Make bean paste using food processor or masher.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped onion and saute until translucent. Then add chopped mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms stop sweating and cook for 2-3 minutes, turn off the heat. Make coarse paste of cooked mushrooms and cilantro using food processor.
3. In a big mixing bowl, mix bean paste, mushroom paste, bread crumbs, cumin powder, grated garlic and salt. Mix everything well. Prepare burger size patties. You can now freeze these patties for later use or leave in fridge for next day.
4. When you want to make burger, heat a non stick pan. heat some oil. Cook patties on both side until golden brown.
5. Before you assemble burger, toast burger bun inside on pan using butter. On the lower side of the bun, put lettuce, burger patty, slice cheese, tomato and onion slice, salsa, tomato ketchup and hot sauce.
Try this succulent burger which is full of flavours from cumin and earthiness from three different types of mushrooms. Replace cheese with avocado if you are on vegan diet. All gluten-free eater, avoid burger buns. Hope you like this high protein black bean mushroom burgers as we did!!
Also let me know if you have any questions regarding the dish.
Thank you for visiting my blog. Until next time!
Check out my Facebook page and like the page to receive the latest recipes in your news feed! You can also follow me on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
Facebook Bhavna’s Food Journey
Pinterest Bhavna’s Food Journey
Instagram Bhavna’s Food Journey