These poppers are very flavourful and tasty. I am using long green chillies which are not spicy, you can also use jalapeno or banana pepper. I am making this eggless and gluten-free.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
5-6 mild long chili pepper or 8-10 jalapeno
3-4 boiled and mashed potato
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp spice blend
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
2 cup besan/gram flour
1/2 tsp ajwain/carom seeds
Salt to taste
1/3 tsp banking soda
For Spice blend
Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
Fennel seeds – 2 tsp
Coriander seeds – 2 tbsp
Whole black pepper – 1 tsp
Star anise – 1 to 2
1. Dry roast spice blend mix for 1-2 minutes. Let the mixture cool and then grind it to a smooth powder. Store this in airtight bottle. You can use this mix in anything for flavouring.
2. In a bowl, mix besan, ajwain and salt. Make thick batter using little water at a time. Make sure batter should not be runny or it will not stick to chili. Add baking soda at the end when you are ready to fry poppers.
3. Wash and dry chili peppers. Make a straight cut on one side of the chili, remove seeds and keep it on side.
4. In a mixing bowl. add mashed potato, garlic powder, onion powder, spice blend and salt. Mix everything thoroughly.
5. Everything is ready. Fill each chili pepper with potato stuffing. Since my chilies are very long, I cut them in half after filling. It makes easier to fry.
6. Heat oil in a pan for deep-frying. Now add baking soda to the batter and mix well. Dip one chili at a time in batter, coat well and transfer slowly to deep fryer. You can fry small batch at a time. Do not over crowd the fry pan. Fry until all sides are golden brown. When ready, remove on paper towel.
7. Serve these poppers when hot. This is perfect to serve as an appetizer. We love to eat during rainy reason. The flavour of the spice blend makes it extra special.
Hope you will enjoy this as much as my family did :).
Also let me know if you have any questions regarding the dish.
Thank you for visiting my blog. Until next time!
Check out my Facebook page and like the page to receive the latest recipes on your news feed!
You can also follow me on Twitter @BhavnasFoodJrny