Sabudana is also known as sago or tapioca. We eat this dish during fasting or when special diet is allowed. I make this dish when we don’t want to eat our regular food and craving for something spicy and yummy. Not only it satisfies the hunger but also gives that satisfaction. It doesn’t take long to cook and tastes amazing. We like to eat as a snacks or light supper. This recipe serves 3 people.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
2 cup sabudana/sago rinsed twice and soaked in water for 4-5 hours
4-5 potato boiled and cut in small pieces
1/4 cup peanut roasted, skin removed and chopped
2-3 green chili finely chopped
1 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp black pepper powder
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp sugar (optional)
Salt to taste
Oil/Ghee for cooking
1. Wash and soak sabudana in water for 4-5 hours. Add the water enough to cover sabudana so after few hours there is no excess water left in the bowl.
2. Roast peanuts, remove skin and crush. Cut boiled potato in small pieces. Finely chop green chilies.
3. In a wide bottom pan, heat 2 tbsp oil/ghee. I prefer using ghee, it gives this dish a special flavour. Add cumin seeds. In few seconds add chopped green chilies and saute for few seconds. Now add soaked sabudana. Cook for 3-4 minutes on medium heat stirring every few seconds. It will start sticking to the bottom so stir every few seconds.
4. After 3 minutes, add chopped potato, crushed peanuts, black pepper powder, lemon juice, sugar (optional) and salt. Mix well. Let it cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring every few seconds. Tip: If you cover pan with the lid, it is easier to removed sticky sabudana from bottom. When ready, move away from hot stove and leave it covered for few minutes. This way bottom part is easier to scrub. The bottom part which is brown slightly is the most delicious.
5. Garnish with coriander leaves and few crushed peanuts and serve when hot. We like to eat this with yogurt on the side.
Try this easy and delicious recipe and let me know your comments. Happy cooking!
Check out my Facebook page and like the page to receive the latest recipes in your news feed!
You can also follow me on Twitter @BhavnasFoodJrny