I had leftover Dhokla batter and I was thinking of using it but did not want to make any fried dish. I also had handful spinach at home. Hence, came up with dish. This recipe feeds around 4 people.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Big potatoes – 5
Spinach leaves – 2 cups
Cumin powder 1 tsp
Chili ginger paste – 2 tbsp
Amchur (mango) powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Khatta Dhokala batter – 3 cups
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Oil for cooking
1. Blanch spinach first in hot water for a minute and then soak in cold water. Make a coarse paste.
2. Pressure cook potato or boil until it is soft enough to mash. Remove the skin and mash the potato. Add spinach paste, cumin powder, chili ginger paste, amchur powder, garam masala powder, lemon juice and salt. Mix well into potato mixture. Make small balls (golf ball).
3. In dhokla batter, add turmeric powder, red chili powder and asafoetida, stir well.
4. Heat the appa patra/paniyaram pan on gas. In each hole add few drops of oil. First drop few potato spinach balls in a batter, cover with batter from all the sides and slowly drop one ball at a time in appa patra. It is easier to drop the batter covered ball in appa pan with spoon. When you see the sides are golden brown then flip it. You can add 1-2 drops of oil on each ball. let it cook until is golden brown from all the side.
5. Serve potato spinach balls with green chutney and/or dry garlic chutney.
It is an easy to make non fried dish tastes best when it is hot.
Also let me know if you have any questions regarding the dish.
Thank you for visiting my blog. Happy cooking!
Thank you Bhavna. I tried this recipe it was awesome. Keep on posting these yummy food recipes. Great job.
I am glad you enjoyed it…keep checking my blog.