Here in Canada, mostly I buy regular butter from the grocery store but I saw few recipes who made butter at home. When I was India, I always made butter from scratch from milk. I will use heavy milk, after boiling remove the cream. Collect the cream for few day and then make butter using this cream. From this butter, I would make ghee (clarified butter). But here is Canada, I never boil milk so I don’t collect cream from the milk. I wanted to give a try using whipping cream. I used #Vitamix but you can use hand blender, stand mixture or whisk. You can also use clean empty bottle (jar) to separate butter from whipping cream.
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes (time varies depending on the method you use to separate butter from cream)
Cooking Time: 0 minutes
Whipping cream (I used Natrel 35% 473ml box)
Crushed chili peppers
1. Blend cold whipping cream in a cold blender jar or stand mixer or in an empty bottle (cover the lid and shake). Scrap the sides every few seconds. Blend until you see butter start to separate, using setting of your blender. The time of making butter varies depending on the method you use.
2. If you are using Vitamix, start with variable 1 and slowly increase to 10 and then high, using temper to press the ingredients into blade. In a minute or so, you will hear high-pitched churning sound. You will see whipped cream. Continue to blend and stop every minute and mix with spatula. You will see butter start to separate and form on the top and watery milk will be at the bottom. Stop machine.
3. Separate the butter from watery milk with clean hands or clean cheese cloth. Wash the butter with cold water. Plain butter is now ready.
4. To prepare herb butter, add the seasonings you like. I wanted to taste the Italian, so I added rosemary, crushed chili peppers, oregano, Italian seasoning and bit of a salt. Mixed everything with fork. You can add black pepper powder, roasted cumin, garlic powder or other Indian spices too.
5. Then I prepared rolls using hands or just roll it in plastic wrap. I left it in refrigerator for 2-3 hours. Then pulled it out and cut in desired size.
6. You can use this butter in soup, on warm bread/toast or in sandwich. The flavours of oregano, rosemary and other Italian seasoning are wonderful. You can also get slight spiciness from crushed chili peppers. Absolute divine!!
Must try this quick and easy recipe.
Also let me know if you have any questions regarding this recipe.
Thank you for visiting my blog. Until next time!
Check out my Facebook page and like the page to receive the latest recipes in your news feed! You can also follow me on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
Facebook Bhavna’s Food Journey
Pinterest Bhavna’s Food Journey
Instagram Bhavna’s Food Journey