Recently I helped my daughter during her delivery. As a part of the process, I decided to write down as many recipes as I can to help new mom. You must have checked out my Nutritional Squares for Mothers To Be or New Mothers recipe for someone who is in her 9th month of pregnancy or new mother. Also Ginger Candies for the mothers who are going through labour or birth of the baby. Katlu Pak for new mother to help in recovery process. Spiced Water to help new mom and child in digestion during first 45 days after child’s birth when mom’s immune system is very weak.
As I mentioned in my past posts there are many other things we do to help new mom to recover quickly. We make raab which is like a soup made with wheat flour, ghee and jaggery and spices, shira also made with same ingredients but has a thicker consistency.
I am sharing raab recipe which we serve during morning. I have used many of the Katlu pak ingredients (medicinal spices) to make this raab. Not everyone has time to make Katlu pak so try this raab instead and mom will have the same benefits. Katlu pak needs a lot of work as raab will be ready in just few minutes. I even taught this to my daughter so she can make it after I left her house. This raab is also beneficial to cure cold. Don’t add edible gum (gond) if you are feeding it to men. You can skip katlu powder if not making for new mom.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
– 1 tbsp wheat flour
– 2-3 tbsp clarified butter (ghee)
– 1 tsp edible gum (gond or gund) – helps to strengthen back bone
– 1 tsp caraway or dill seeds (suva dana) – one of the best herbs to prevent gas and bloating
– 1 tsp carom seeds or bishop’s weeds (ajwain) – is also one of the best herbal wonder drug for gas, flatulence and indigestion
– 2 1/2 cup water
– Jaggery (gud) broken in small pieces – it boosts immunity and also helps increase the total count of hemoglobin in the blood
– 1/2 tsp ginger powder (sunth or sonth) – helps in digestion
– 1/2 tsp pimpramul powder (ganthoda) – high in Magnesium that works with calcium to build bone, regulate muscle contractions and balance blood pressure
– 1 tsp katlu (batrisu) powder – a mix of 32 perfectly blended of traditional Ayurvedic herbs and other spice, mixed in optimum quantity brings all types of vitamins, proteins and other nutrients together
– 1 tsp flex seed powder (alsi) – Omega-3 fatty acids which is a “good” fats that have been shown to have heart-healthy effects
– 4-5 almond chopped – a source of vitamin E, copper, magnesium, and high-quality protein
– 1 tsp coconut powder or shredded coconut (nariyal) – rich in fibre, vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6 and minerals including iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous
– 1 tsp white poppy seeds (khus khus) – effective in quenching thirst, fever, inflammation, constipation and irritation of the abdomen
1. In a pan fry gond (edible gum) in a little ghee on low heat. It will puff up and double in size in few seconds. Remove from frying pan and slightly crush using any flat spatula.
2. In the same pan, add 2 tbsp ghee and turn on the heat on low to medium. Add caraway and carom seeds. When seeds starts to pop or change colour add 1 tbsp wheat flour. Roast flour on low heat stirring continuous. When flour starts to change the colour (3-4 mins) add crushed fried gond and continue to cook on low for one minute stirring continuous.
3. In roasted flour, add 2 1/2 cup water, jaggery as per your taste. Also add ginger, pimpramul, katlu and flex seed powder. Bring it to boil on medium heat stirring frequently. The soup will start to thicken in 2-3 minutes. If soup is too thick then add some water to adjust the consistency.
4. While soup is boiling, add chopped almond and shredded coconut and cook for one more minute. Turn off the heat.
5. Garnish with poppy seeds before serving. Serve hot.
Raab has many amazing health benefits and wonderful flavours from all the spices. When served hot, mom will absolutely love it!!! This is also best remedy to cure cold. Serve it during winter and it does the wonder. Share with your family and friends so someone who needs it can benefit from it.
Please do leave a comment or let me know if you have any questions regarding this dish. .
You can check out similar recipe ideas.
Nutritional Squares for Mothers To Be or New Mothers
Ginger Candies for Mothers To Help During Child Birth
Katlu Pak For New Mothers
Thank you for visiting my blog. Until next time!
Check out my Facebook page and like the page to receive the latest recipes in your news feed! You can also follow me on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
Facebook Bhavna’s Food Journey
Pinterest Bhavna’s Food Journey
Instagram Bhavna’s Food Journey