Pepper is known as mirch, cooked with gram flour and spices. You can use any mild pepper or capsicum. This is a perfect condiment or side dish to any Indian lunch/dinner. When I don’t have any vegetable and few pepper handy, I prepare this. It is quick and easy dish to prepare.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10-12 minutes
3-4 mild variety of chilies or Bell pepper/capsicum
3 tbsp Besan/Gram flour
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
Sugar/jaggery as per taste (optional)
Salt to taste
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
Oil for cooking
1. Cut pepper in 1 inch cubes.
2. Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and asafoetida. When cumin seeds starts to brown add cut pepper pieces. Saute on low to medium heat until you see golden mark on pepper. It will take 2-3 minutes, stir every few seconds.
3. In a separate bowl mix besan, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, small pinch of asafoetida, salt and sugar/jaggery (optional).
4. When pepper are slightly brown from all sides, add the dry besan mixture to the pan. Mix well and cook on low heat for 4-5 minutes until all flavours blend together and besan is completely cooked. Stir every few seconds. You can also dry roast besan before adding to the pan, I just use the raw besan flour and let it cook little longer.
5. When ready, garnish with chopped coriander and serve as side dish to any Indian food. It can be served hot or at a room temperature.
Hope you will enjoy this dish same as we do :).
You can check out other Gujarati recipes on my website.
Please do leave a comment or let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you for visiting my blog. Until next time!
Check out my Facebook page and like the page to receive the latest recipes in your news feed!
Bhavna’s Food Journey