Gujaratis love their Dhokla so they come up with creative ways to make different types of dhokla. This is rather quick dhokla recipe which doesn’t require grinding or fermenting. Every family has their own recipe and over the years I have perfected mine. It is healthy as it is steamed not fried. You can eat it as main dish or appetizer and any time of the day.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
1 cup rava/semolina
1/2 cup yogurt (you can use sour yogurt to make it tangy)
3 tsp oil
1 cup water
2 green chilies finely chopped
2 garlic cloves grated
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp baking soda/soda bi-carb
1 tsp Eno
1 1/2 tbsp Oil
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp sesame seeds
Pinch of asafoetida
Coriander leaves and jalapeno pepper for garnishing
1. In a mixing bowl, mix together semolina, yogurt, 3 tsp oil, a cup of water, chopped green chili, grated cloves and salt. In a small non stick pan prepare tempering using 1/2 tbsp oil, mustard seeds. When mustard seeds pops add sesame seeds and pinch of asafoetida. Pour the tempering to semolina batter.
2. Meanwhile, heat a steamer. Grease a stainless steel thali with few drops of oil.
3. When steamer is hot and ready, add baking soda and Eno to semolina batter. Mix it and pour the batter to greased thali. Immediately put this thali in steamer, cover with lid and steam dhokla for 15-17 minutes.
4. When dhokla is ready, remove from steamer and let it cool down for 3-4 minutes.
5. Make square pieces, Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and slightly sauteed jalapeno pepper. Serve dhokla with green chutney and dry garlic chutney
Enjoy it while it is warm. Everyone will be happy to eat dhokla during any time of the day. You can also check out Khaman Dhokla, Spinach Khaman Dhokla and Farali Dhokla recipe.
Hope you enjoy preparing this dish as much as I did.
Your suggestion and comments are welcome.
Thank you for visiting my blog.
Check out my Facebook page and like the page to receive the latest recipes on your newsfeed!
I want easy pickle receipe for beetroot Jamba Jaldi carrot and ginger pickle thank u
LikeLiked by 1 person
You can use my instant carrot pickle recipe to make the pickle.
I attempted to make this rave dhokla, but I goofed up 😦 I was multi tasking in the kitchen and forgot to put the eno and the baking soda. My dhoklas came out like a thick flat pancake Though they were very tasty 🙂 🙂 I will try them again next week end. This time I will not goof up.
Thank you Bhavna.
Thanks Ronny bhai for the update. I am sure it will come out better next time. Please let me know how turned out.