I am always trying out dishes using different ingredients. Usually spicy pancakes or utthappam is made from rice and urad dal but I was trying to reduce rice intake so decided to make these pancakes with multi grain. This recipe serves 3-4 people.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
1 cup rice
1/2 cup chana dal / yellow split beans
1/2 cup moong dal with skin
1/2 cup urad dal
1/2 cup jowar
1/4 cup soy beans
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
Salt to taste
Oil for cooking
1 onion thinly sliced
1 tomato sliced
1 green pepper thinly sliced
3-4 green chilies cut into small pieces
1. Mix rice, chana dal, moong dal, urad dal, jowar, soy beans and fenugreek seeds in pot and soak it in water for 4-5 hours. Grind soaked dal mixture into slightly granular paste. Add salt to taste. Add water to adjust the consistency so batter is not very thick but also not runny.
2. Leave batter in a warm place for 8-9 hours until batter is fermented.
3. Heat the Tawa/flat pan (I use the cast iron pan) and grease it with oil.
4. Always make 1st pancake very small and thick so it does not stick to the pan and then wipe the pan with wet cloth.
5. Spread the batter on a hot greased pan, add toppings as per your taste and 1 tsp oil. Flip the pancake when it is cooked from one side. Cook on both sides.
These pancakes can be eaten anytime of the day and will please young or adults.
I would love to know if you tried making this dish at home and share your experience with me 🙂
Please do leave a comment or let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you for visiting my website. Until next time!
You can follow me on social media using any of the link below.
Facebook Bhavna’s Food Journey
YouTube Bhavna’s Food Journey