Hello Fellow Foodies
Something different than usual. When I make uttapam, I add chopped onion, tomato and green pepper as topping while cooking, I decide to try something different this time. I tried to make this spread/sauce instead. It is very easy to make, takes around 10 minutes but the end result is very delicious. All the ingredients will be in your pantry or fridge.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 5-7 minutes
1 big onion
1 big tomato
1 green pepper
Few fresh green/red chilies as per your taste
4 garlic cloves
Small piece of ginger
1 tsp cumin seeds
5-6 curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
Oil for cooking
For batter check out my Multigrain Spicy Pancakes recipe.
1. In a blender jar, add chopped garlic, ginger and chilies and make smooth paste. In the same blender add big pieces of onion, tomato and green pepper. Chop everything together as show in the picture below. All vegetables should be chopped, no need to make paste.
2. In a pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil. Add cumin seed and saute for few seconds. Then add curry leaves and saute for another few seconds. Now add sauce and salt. Saute for 4-5 minutes on low to medium and add turmeric powder stirring once or twice in between. Cook until sauce becomes thick in consistency.
3. Heat the Tawa/flat pan (I use the cast iron pan) and grease it with oil.
4. Always make 1st pancake very small and thick so it does not stick to the pan and then wipe the pan with wet cloth.
5. Spread the batter on a hot greased pan. Flip the pancake when it is cooked from one side. Cook on both sides. Then spread the sauce.
6. These pancake are very soft and spongy. Serve these healthy, nutritious, protein rich pancakes with chana-urad dal chutney, green chutney, tomato chutney or tomato ketchup.
These pancakes can be eaten anytime of the day and will please young or adults.
You can check out other South Indian recipes on my website.
I would love to know if you tried making this dish at home and share your experience with me 🙂
Please do leave a comment or let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you for visiting my blog. Until next time!
Check out my Facebook page and like the page to receive the latest recipes in your news feed!
Bhavna’s Food Journey