Eggplant is also known as brinjal or baingan. I am using a big brinjal, the one we use for Baigan Bharta. This recipe especially created for those who are on or wanted to try gluten free diet. Everyone knows the famous Italian dish lasagna. You can use regular lasagna or gluten free lasagna strips instead of eggplant. This is rather healthier version.
I have been trying to cook lots of gluten-free recipes. I was thinking of making gluten-free lasagna for quite sometime. It just happened that I had all the ingredients in my fridge so decided to give it a try. The final dish was an instant hit :). This recipe serves 2-3 people.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 60 minutes
1 small butternut squash cut in cubes
1 zucchini cut in cubes
5-6 cloves of garlic
5-6 mushrooms sliced
Oil for cooking
100 gm ricotta cheese
1 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp oregano
Salt to taste
2-3 cups pasta sauce
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp chili flakes
10-12 sweet basil leaves
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 big eggplant/brinjal thinly slices
1. Heat oven at 350F. In a baking tray, spread chopped butternut squash and zucchini, rub with olive oil. Add few garlic cloves (keep the skin) on the top and bake it for 35-40 minutes or until squash is soft. When ready, remove skin off garlic. In a mixing bowl mash baked ingredients.
2. In a fry pan, heat 1 tsp oil. Saute mushroom slices for 2-3 minutes on medium stirring every few seconds.
4. In another bowl, prepare layering mix. Mix pasta sauce, oregano, chili flakes and sweet basil. Add about 1 teaspoon water to make spreadable consistency. I use store-bought pasta sauce but if you want, you can make sauce at home. There are lots of pasta sauce recipe available online.
5. Grate mozzarella cheese. Thinly slice eggplant lengthwise.
6. In a baking dish, start layering lasagna. First spread 1-2 tbsp pasta sauce at the bottom then add thinly slice eggplant. On top of eggplant, spread half filling paste and spread some cheese. Add another layer of eggplant slices, then add pasta sauce, remaining filling paste and cheese. Finally layer eggplant slices, pasta sauce and remaining cheese.
Enjoy this gluten-free lasagna with your friends and family. Kids will eat all the veges without realizing it.
Hope you will enjoy this dish as much as my family did. Try it and let me know if you have any question.
Send me your comments or feedback of how you like my recipes and blog.
Thank you for visiting my blog. Happy cooking!
Check out my Facebook page and like the page to receive the latest recipes on your newsfeed!
You can also follow me on Twitter @BhavnasFoodJrny