Who doesn’t like dessert, I think very few people who can stay away from it. Rice pudding is one of my family favourite dessert. My husband doesn’t eat any dessert except this one. Once in a while I make rice pudding when my whole family have lunch together. This recipe serves 4 – 5 people.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
1/2 cup rice (more if you like very thick pudding)
2 liter milk (I use 2% but if you can, use 3.25% or heavy cream milk)
1 cup sugar (use more or less depending on your taste)
Few strings of saffron
Pinch of cardamom powder
1 tsp ghee (clarified butter)
1. Wash rice with water, remove water and add 1 teaspoon of ghee (clarified butter). Ghee gives nice aroma to the pudding. Soak saffron stings in 2 tbsp hot milk. Soak almond and pistachio separately in water. When you can peel the skin of almond and pistachio, remove the skin and slice in thin pieces.
2. In a big heavy bottom pot put milk for boiling on a medium heat. Stay close and stir every 2-3 minutes. When milk starts boiling, add soaked rice. Make sure there is no water in the rice. Continue stirring, if milk or rice sticks to the bottom the burned taste will spoil the whole dish.
3. When rice are cooked in milk (check few rice by pressing between your fingers), add sugar and continue to stir. Cook until sugar dissolves and milk starts thickening.
4. When pudding is think enough, add saffron soaked milk, cardamom powder, slices of almond and pistachio and turn off the heat. Keep few slices for garnishing at the end.
5. Serve warm or chilled after dinner. We like to eat it with roti and vegetable on side.
I would love to know if you tried making this dish at home and share your experience with me :).
Also let me know if you have any questions regarding this recipe.
Thank you for visiting my blog. Until next time!
Check out my Facebook page and like the page to receive the latest recipes in your news feed! You can also follow me on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
Facebook Bhavna’s Food Journey
Pinterest Bhavna’s Food Journey
Instagram Bhavna’s Food Journey
Wow! Nice one.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you so much!
My husband is the same; he loves rice pudding and custard only! We love nuts and this would make a lovely change to have some crunch 🙂
Thank you so much, let me know how it turned out.
LikeLiked by 1 person