Biryani is made differently in every house. My husband was craving for it so I decided to cook and it was an instant hit in my family.
Here is how I made it. It has a lot of wonderful flavours and tastes amazing.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Cashew – 1/4 cup
Raisins – 1/4 cup
Yogurt – 1/2 cup
Tomato puree – 1 cup
Salt to taste
Oil / clarified butter for cooking
cauliflower florets – 1 cup
Onion cut lengthwise – 1/2 cup
Chopped carrot – 1 cup
Frozen green peas – 1/2 cup
Frozen soybeans (optional) – 1/2 cup
Methi leaves (optional) – 1/4 cup
Dill leaves (optional) – 1/4 cup
Any vegetables of your choice like broccoli, asparagus, snow peas, etc.
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Cardamom pods – 2-3
Cloves – 4-5
Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
Bay leaves – 2
Star anise – 1
Garam masala / Biryani masala – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
1. Soak the rice in water for 10 minutes. Then cook rice using 1 cup rice to 1 & 1/2 cup water ratio until rice is cooked al dente. Remove the access water if any. Remember not to over cook rice.
2. Separate the rice using fork and let it cool down.
4. Heat oil in a pan and fry cashew nuts and raisins. Remove from the pan and keep aside.
5. In the same pan heat 2 tbsp oil/clarified butter in a pan and add cumin seeds, cardamom pods, cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaves and star anise, let it saute for a minute
6. Add all the vegetables except frozen green peas and soya beans. Also add salt. Cook the vegetables for 8-10 minutes or until they are tender.
7. Add tomato puree, green peas and soybeans and remaining spices.
8. Let all the flavours blend into vegetables and cook for 4-5 minutes. If mixture is too dry add 1/2 cup water.
9. Now add yogurt in the pan and mix well.
10. It is almost ready 🙂 just add rice and mix carefully so cooked rice does not break. Garnish with fried cashew nuts and raisins. You can eat this delicious mouth-watering Biryani itself or with Mango pickle, Raita and Papad.
Try this dish and send your comments. I would love to hear from you 🙂
Thank you for stopping by :). Happy cooking!
Check out my Facebook page and like the page to receive the latest recipes in your news feed! You can also follow me on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
Facebook Bhavna’s Food Journey
Pinterest Bhavna’s Food Journey
Instagram Bhavna’s Food Journey