This is a very famous Gujarati dish called Handvo. Every family has their own recipe and I also try to make it with different variations. This recipe is perfect for hot snacks with afternoon masala tea. You can add grated zucchini or lauki (long squash) in the batter for added nutrition. This recipe serves 4-5 people.
Start the preparation at least 24 hours in advance. Soak rice, dal, jowar, soy beans and methi at least 6-7 hours and then grind and ferment the the batter for 12-15 hours (more if you live in cold climate) in warm place.
Cast Iron Pan
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
1 cup rice
1/2 cup toor dal
1/2 cup moong dal with skin
1/2 cup urad dal
1/2 jowar (shorgum)
1/2 cup soy beans
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 cup yogurt
2-3 chopped green chilies
1 tsp crushed coriander seeds
1 tsp crushed caraway seeds
Small pinch of asafoetida
Salt to taste
oil for cooking
1. Mix rice, toor dal, moong dal, urad dal, soy beans and fenugreek seeds in pot and soak it in water for 6-7 hours. Grind soaked dal mixture into slightly granular paste. Add yogurt and salt and mix well. Add water if needed to adjust the consistency so batter is not very thick but also not runny.
2. Leave batter in a warm place for 12-15 hours until batter is fermented.
3. When ready to prepare handvo, add chopped green or red chilies, crushed coriander and caraway seeds and small pinch of asafoetida in the fermented batter. Add salt if needed and mix everything well.
4. Heat deep cast iron or non-stick pan (I use the cast iron pan) and 1 tsp of oil in the pan. Add 1/4 tsp mustard seeds and 1/4 tsp sesame seeds. when mustard seeds starts to pop, pour 2 spatula full of batter (1/2 cup). Cover the pan with lid. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes on low to medium so the top portion is firm and lower portion is slightly brown. Flip the handvo when it is cooked on one side. Add another tsp of oil on the side and let it cook until it is golden brown on both sides. Prepare remaining handva using same method.
6. This handvo is very soft and spongy from inside and crisp from outside. Serve this healthy, nutritious, protein rich handvo with chana-urad dal chutney, green chutney or tomato ketchup or just with masala tea. You can also serve as side dish with meal. Serve immediately from pan to plate.
You can also make this handvo in the oven. Grease baking pan, pour the whole mixture. In a small pan heat 2 tbsp oil, add 2 tsp mustard seeds and 2 tsp sesame seeds. When mustard seeds starts to pop, pour this hot mixture on the top of handvo batter. Bake in the hot oven at 350°F for about 35-40 minutes or toothpick comes out clean. Broil for 2-3 minutes before turning off the oven.
I am sure you can delight young and old with this handvo recipe. I would love to know if you tried making this dish at home and share your experience with me :).
Visit my blog for more Gujarati recipes.
Please do leave a comment or let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you for visiting my blog. Until next time!