Please see the video till end and don’t forget to click on subscribe button!!
This is a very famous dish of Gujarat, India. It is prepared using mainly chana dal (split chickpeas). These can be prepared either using besan (chickpea flour) or grinding chana dal to paste. I prefer 2nd version, it tastes better. Everyone uses slightly different recipe, I am adding soybean, it adds softness to khaman. This is healthy snacks as it is high in protein and it is steamed not fried.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
1 cup chana dal
¼ cup rice
¼ cup soybean
Pinch of methi (fenugreek) seeds
¼ cup slightly sour yogurt
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp sugar
Salt as needed
1 tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp soda bicarb (baking soda)
½ tsp Eno (fruit salt)
Coriander/cilantro for garnishing
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp sesame seeds
Pinch of asafoetida
7-8 curry leaves
2 jalapeno (mild pepper) sliced thinly
1. Wash and soak chana dal, rice, soybean and methi seeds in a pot for 4-5 hours. Drain all water before grinding
2. Add soaked rice bean in the mixer jar. Also add yogurt, salt, sugar and oil. Add ½ cup water
3. Grind to a smooth paste
4. Transfer batter to a big container, add turmeric powder and mix well. Cover the lid and set aside for 7-8 hours in a warm place to ferment
5. When ready, heat steamer or big pot with 2 glass of water. Grease 8” plate (mold) with some oil.
6. Add soda bicarb to the batter and mix well. Then add Eno (fruit salt) and little water and mix in one direction.
7. Carefully pour mixture to the plate.
8. Steam khaman in steamer for 15 minutes.
9. While khaman is steaming, prepare tempering. In a small pan, heat oil. When oil is hot, add mustard seeds and sesame seeds. When seeds start to sputter, add asafoetida, curry leaves and jalapeno slices. Stir and sauté for few seconds. Add 1 cup of water and bring it to boil.
10. When done, remove thali from steam and let it cool down for 10-15 minutes.
11. Make square pieces as desired size.
12. Pour tempering including water on top of khaman. Garnish with cilantro (coriander) and pinch of chili powder.
You can serve this at room temperature. You can keep this in fridge for 2-3 days. Enjoy these soft, spongy savory cake with green chutney. You can garnish with sev and pomegranate before serving.
Hope you will try this recipe!
Also let me know if you have any questions regarding the dish.
Thank you for visiting my website. Until next time!
Check out my Facebook page and like the page to receive the latest recipes in your news feed! You can also follow me on YouTube, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
Facebook Bhavna’s Food Journey
YouTube Bhavna’s Food Journey