You know you succeeded in making something when your husband eats the food you made 1st time and then asks you to make it again next day…..happy feeling 😎 😎 !! This is what happened when I made this soup and my husband and son loved it so much that they requested to make it again next day. My husband was asking me to make rasam at home for past few days, which I never cooked before (we ate at restaurant many times) but I had an idea how to make it. So I suddenly decided to prepare this soup, when he reached home, my house was busting with the flavours. he got so excited that he went and bought medu vada and idly from nearby pickup place. As soon as he tested the 1st spoon, he loved it!! I also really enjoyed it!! This aromatic soup will be regular in my house. It is very easy to make, takes no time to cook and ingredients are mostly in my house. This soup serves 2-3 people.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
4 big ripe tomato
1 tsp turmeric powder
Oil for cooking
Salt to taste
Small piece of ginger
3-4 cloves of garlic
1 green chili
Soft stems of coriander/cilantro
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp urad dal
1-2 dry red chili
Small pinch of asafoetida
7-8 curry leaves
1. Blanch tomato in boiling water for 1-2 minutes and remove from the water. Blend it in blender to a smooth consistency.
2. Make coarse paste of ginger, garlic, green chili, soft stems of coriander/cilantro, black pepper and cumin seeds using mortar pastel or chopper.
3. In a pan heat the 1 tbsp oil, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and urad dal. When mustard seeds stars to pop, add whole dry chili. curry leaves and asafoetida. Saute for 30 seconds. Then add paste made earlier and saute on low heat for one minute stirring continuous.
4. Then add tomato sauce and water to adjust the consistency. Also add salt, turmeric powder. Let it simmer on low for 10-15 minutes. You will notice your house busting with flavours of curry leaves, cumin and other flavours.
5. Before Serving garnish with coriander leaves. Enjoy this tomato soup itself or serve with idly, dosa, medu vada or with plain rice. It is spicy, tangy and very flavourful. I can eat this every day 😛 😛
Try this healthy, nutritious and aromatic soup. It tastes the best when it is hot.
I am making this soup at least once a week….and every time my husband loves even more.
Let me know if you have any questions regarding the dish. Your suggestion is welcome.
Thank you for visiting my blog. Happy cooking!
Check out my Facebook page and like the page to receive the latest recipes in your news feed!